Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Steak and Mushroom Melt - My Favorite Sandwich




Steak and Mushroom Melt

I am a steak and potato girl and this is my all time favorite sandwich in the whole world. The flavor is amazing, I can't even describe in words how much I love this! My husband goes crazy over it every time I make it. I made a few changes this time and now it is just right.

I did a post a while back on how to sear a steak in a skillet. I believe it is by far the best way to cook a steak.  For this sandwich it is marvelous!




Ingredients

Package of Petite Sirloin Steak 
Seasonings for steak
Olive Oil
One yellow onion
1 package of mushrooms sliced
1 stick of butter
Mozzarella Cheese sliced
White Bolillos Rolls - I bought these at Smith's in the Bakery. Perfect for this sandwich.

Directions

Pan Searing Steak

Pour Extra Virgin Olive Oil all over the tops of the steaks and make sure they all get coated in the oil on both sides. Season both sides with your favorite seasonings. (see the ones that I use in the picture below).

Heat the butter (1/2 stick) and 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a cast iron skillet to a screaming hot temperature.  Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.   Sear the steaks in a screaming hot pan for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until a nice brown crust has formed. While the steak is searing, continue to spoon the residual butter in the pan on top of the meat while it’s cooking.  Once both sides are seared, place in the center of the oven for about 4-5 minutes, depending upon how thick your steak is. Take out of oven and put back on stove and cook about 2 minutes each side depending on how pink you want it. 


Your steak will be ready when it is approximately 135 degrees in the center, or when you push lightly on the top center of the steak and it gently and slowly bounces back.  (Note, this is medium rare. If you are afraid of pink just cook it longer).

Don't slice your steak until you are ready to put it on the sandwich and don't throw away the juice that is in the pan.

The Sandwich

Set oven on Broil

Slice up some mozzarella cheese and slice up the onion. Heat 4 Tablespoons of Butter in a different pan and saute the onions. When those are done take them out but leave the juice in the pan. Add in the mushrooms and saute those until done. When they are done pour the mushrooms and the juice in the pan you seared the steaks in. Make sure that pan is hot. Saute all those flavors together. 

Slice the bread in half and dip each side in the pan the mushrooms are in now. Add a layer of mushroom on the bottom half, slice up the steak now and add slices on top of the mushrooms. Put some of the grilled onions on top and layer top with cheese. Put bottom bread piece in the oven and broil until cheese is melted (add the top bread piece in the oven a little bit before the cheese is done melting to get hot). When melted take out of oven and sprinkle salt and pepper on top, put hot sandwich top on which will help melt the cheese some more. Cut in half and serve. 







These are my go to seasonings for steak.









The Sandwich






 







So there you go! You now know my favorite sandwich and how to make it. If you know someone that loves steak, make this for them and they will love you forever. My hubby is like a kid in a candy store when he see's me making this. You are going to love it!

Thanks for stopping by!


Dori

6 comments :

  1. Oh! Gosh! Does that look good or what???!!! I'm so glad I found your blog...great recipes & pictures! This is absolutely a recipe I can't wait to make. Thank you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would probably have to say NADA on the mushrooms, (I have tried to love them! lol) but otherwise... amazing. cant wait to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so appetizing. *drool* :D Plus, I find it strange that you used mushrooms. It’s strange, but in a good and delicious way. It totally piqued my interest.

    Joseph Carr

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed that there are only three comments on this recipe! It deserves to have hundreds of comments for sure! I pinned it last year, and made it again last night! I call it the Manwich, because I feed a husband and three teenage sons, and they ALL love it and want seconds!! VERY rare indeed that everyone likes dinner! This is, by far, the best sandwich I've ever made, hands down! The presentation of this sandwich is so impressive, with the steak, onions and mushrooms overflowing that toasty bread with melted cheese....Mmmm.....I'm hungry again!! Thanks for sharing it with us Dori!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pure hardwood is the fuel for Traeger's signature flavor. Traeger owners and BBQenthusiasts agree that wood-fired flavor is what they love How hot does a Traeger grill get?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!