Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Friday, April 27, 2012

Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Loaf


Picture from Lemon Drop recipe from Sweet Pea's Kitchen


Lemon  Blueberry Yogurt Loaf

What an awesome picture! I found this via Pinterest and the first time I saw it there was no link! I panicked, I had to find this recipe so off I went on the search. Didn't take long, I eventually found the recipe that went with the picture from Lemon Drop who made it and took this picture. Isn't that a great picture? I love the colors and the lighting and it makes me want it! That is always a good picture when it does that.

Looks pretty simple to make.....





For the Loaf:

§  1 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
§  2 teaspoons baking powder
§  1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
§  1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
§  1 cup sugar
§  3 large eggs
§  2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (approximately 2 lemons)
§  1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
§  1/2 cup vegetable oil
§  1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen, thawed and rinsed

For the Lemon Syrup:
 §  1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
§  1/3 cup sugar
For the Lemon Glaze:
§  1 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
§  2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Directions:

1.       Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of one 9 x 5-inch loaf pans; dust with flour, tapping out excess.
2.      In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
3.      In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla and oil. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix the blueberries with the remaining tablespoon of flour, and fold them very gently into the batter.
4.      Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing loaf to a wire rack on top of a baking sheet.
5.      While the loaf is cooling, make the lemon syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir together the lemon juice and sugar until the sugar is completely dissolved. Once dissolved, continue to cook for 3 more minutes. Remove from the heat; set aside.
6.      Use a toothpick to poke holes in the tops and sides of the warm loaf. Brush the top and sides of the loaf with the lemon syrup. Let the syrup soak into the cake and brush again. Let the cake cool completely.
7.      To make the lemon glaze, in a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of the lemon juice. The mixture should be thick but pourable. Add up to another tablespoon of lemon juice if the mixture is too stiff. Pour the lemon glaze over the top of each loaf and let it drip down the sides. Let the lemon glaze harden, about 15 minutes, before serving.
Yields: 1-9×5 loaf

Enjoy, and I would love to hear if you make this. I am going to make it this weekend since I just make Apple Fritters with glaze yesterday. So I am taking a few days of from glaze. Just a few though. :)



Thanks for stopping by!
Dori

14 comments :

  1. I have just started using Pinterest, and I am hooked ! I can't believe how much amazing information is out there [wasn't even sure what a Blog was !] As soon as I read your recipe, I knew this was 'a good thing', as Martha would say. Beautifully photographed, and inviting. The addition of syrup soaked through the cake convinced my this is a winner....my Mum did this with all her sponge cakes ! Thank you for sharing such a delicious recipe....I will be back ! [I don't know what to 'comment' as, but my name is Mary Downey if you can find me, I'd like to keep in touch]

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great recipe, and so beautiful!!! Will be making this when the fresh blueberries are ready for picking. I bet this would be good with strawberries! Yummy!!!Yum!Yum! Thanks for finding this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, so glad to hear you are using Pinterest, I is my favorite place! Thanks so much for you nice comment. To keep in touch go to the join the site button on the right side of the page so you can get notified when I post something. So glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimi, that sounds delicious with strawberries! Let me know if you make it with them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made this cake! Great recipe and so much fun to make it with the children. The kitchen smells gorge.. I hope it taste lovely too. Had a bit of trouble as needed to get the Am cups to English pounds, I hope I got it right. Will let you know about the cake later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had a couple bites of the bits that got stuck to the pan - delicious! I added strawberries in with the blueberries, and used greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt...can't wait to taste it with the lemon syrup & frosting on top!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just curious...I'm on my second try at making this and it never gets done. First time I tried in a glass pan and I baked it for an hour and a half and it was still wet in the center. Now trying in a stoneware pan and up to 1 hour and a half of cooking time so far. I hate it, because the cooked parts were amazing...the lemon simple syrup makes it...that's why I tried it again. And for those about to suggest oven temp differences...our oven cooks everything about 10 minutes faster than most suggested times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. one tip i've learned is if you are using frozen berries do not thaw them. Did you use frozen

      Delete
  8. making this right now! so excited:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. By far one of the most delicious things I've ever made! Making it again today for my family:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made this bread recently and it was amazing! So delicious and refreshing. Was wonderful with a cup of tea or coffee in the morning. I thought it was going to be too lemon-y, but it wasn't at all. Can't wait to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have made this many times, delishious!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!