Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Soup



This is just darn right good soup. Packed with flavor and was perfect for a rainy day today. We welcomed the rain because we need the water. I am hoping for a sunny day tomorrow because if it's sunny I want to take a drive on the Wild Horse Loop and hopefully be able to share some pictures with you of Wyoming's beautiful wild horses! 








Chicken Enchilada Soup

I found this recipe on The Skillet Takes.  The picture they had looked good and I had all the ingredients so I thought I would give it a try. I had to add my own twist to it and make it my own so this is what I came up with! 


Chicken Enchilada Soup
6 Servings

Ingredients:
2 t. Olive Oil
1/2 C. Onion, chopped
3 cloves Garlic, minced
3 C. Chicken Broth
8 oz. can Tomato Sauce
1 Jalapeno Pepper, chopped without seeds
1/4 C. Cilantro, chopped
15 oz. can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
14.5 oz. can Diced Tomatoes
2 C. frozen Corn
1 cut up Avocado (optional)
1 t. Cumin
1/2 t. Oregano
2 8-oz. skinless Chicken Breasts (I boiled mine then added in at the end)
1/4 C. Scallions, chopped, for topping
3/4 C. Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1/2 Cup Cotija Cheese

Directions:
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat.  Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft, 3-4 minutes. Slowly add the chicken broth, tomato sauce, and jalapenos and bring to a boil.  Add cilantro and pour into crock pot.

To the crockpot, add drained beans, diced tomatoes, corn, cumin, and oregano.  Stir.  Add the chicken breasts; cover and cook on high heat for 4-6 hours.  

Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add chicken back into the soup, adjust salt and cumin to taste.  Serve in bowls, I put chicken, cheese and avocado chunks on the bottom and then pour hot soup on top to melt cheese and top with homemade tortilla chips, scallions and cotija cheese. Quick and easy.



Pour into crock pot and add other ingredients as listed.


Mmmmmmm



You can buy these at the store now but I prefer to make my own and bag them up for salads or anything else I could use them on. They are so good! All you do is thinly slice up corn tortillas and pour Extra Virgin Olive Oil on them and make sure they are just coated but not soaking in it. Put in the oven at 400 degrees and just keep checking them and stir them around until they are crispy to your liking! I add some Kosher Salt to them as well. 




Put in as much chicken, avocado and cheese as you want. This is what I did. Should have put a little more chicken in that one. 



Add some juice now. 


Top with the homemade tortilla strips, a few pieces of Cilantro and some scallions. Then top with Cotija Cheese. My favorite!





That is a nice warm bowl of Chicken Enchilada Soup. Hope you enjoy this recipe and love the flavor as much as I did. Don't forget to enter the Giveaway!

Thanks for stopping by!

Dori






1 comment :

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!