Cover

Welcome to Riches to Rags by Dori. This is a place where I share a little bit of everything. My experiences, the good the bad and the ugly. Life isn't easy but worth living and my hope is that we can get through it together.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Grow an Herb Garden Inside or Out




This is on my stove at this very moment!

Oh my Goodness! Does my house smell wonderful!  I got this idea off Pinterest from 
One More MooreThis is what William Sonoma uses in their stores to make that wonderful smell you get when you walk in! 

Spring is Coming!

I didn't have any Rosemary so I went to the store to get some. The Rosemary was $2.89 for a small little plastic container of them! I thought how easy it would have been if I had just had a Rosemary pot that I could snip a couple of pieces off throw it in and I was done. That is how this post today was born. 

My newest project is I am going to create an Herb Garden indoors that I can keep in small pots so I can have it available to me year round when I need it. I can dry them when I want to and make my own seasonings or make gifts to give to others. Below you will find some really great ideas for growing an Herb Garden and more that in found while trying to decide which was I want to do mine. 


                                                                                                           SOURCE 
 This is such a clever way to mark the herbs. Chop off the top of a stick and write it in or buy chalkboard paint and write it on the outside. 

Love the pots these are in with the burlap underneath. 

LOVE this sign. That would be so EASY to make!



Plant herbs in old Tin containers. 









These are so adorable! 
                                                                                         
Use a drain up to do a vertical herb garden.




Use a large pot to grow several different herbs.


 
SOURCE
Buy these from a dollar store or Thrift Store and repaint them. 

Hang your herbs to dry


SOURCE

Herb Basics
This is a wonderful site from Martha Stewart on Herb Basics. 


                          SOURCE                                                         SOURCE   
                                                                                   


Darling gift. You can find cute cups all the time at the Thrift Store. 


I have to get these scissors! What a easy way to cut up herbs. 


Do you have an Herb Garden? How did you do it? Indoors or Outdoors or both? 

*NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF CHEAP*

Dori

7 comments :

  1. Love all of these ideas.. will definitely have to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nikita, I would to hear what you ended up planting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, thank you Dori for these fabulous thought provoking ideas! I will be making the rosemary lemon concoction promptly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosemary grows like crazy in these parts. I have 3 huge plants outside.
    will try some of my lemon balm and rosemary and see how that smells.
    or my cinnamon basil. yummo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some people swear that you must put garden stones in the bottom of the gardening container, but I dispute that opinion. I feel that the garden stones take valuable space away from the herb roots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put a thin layer of styrofoam at the bottom- it helps with drainage without taking up a lot of space or adding weight.

      Delete
  6. Wow that was odd. I just wrote an very long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again. Regardless, just wanted to say superb blog!front door pull handle

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment, It gets lonely in here without them!